Compassionate Touch® : Hands-on Comfort in End of Life Care
Compassionate Touch® has specific applications in end of life care. This non-pharmacological approach effectively addresses physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the dying person and may easily be incorporated into bedside palliative care. This “hands-on” training is designed to empower the professional caregiver with the sensitivity, knowledge, skills to incorporate Compassionate Touch® into daily care routines.
Session Description: A six- hour seminar plus two- hour train-the-trainer session.
1. Describe what it means to be a healing presence.
2. Identify specific benefits of Compassionate Touch® related to stages of the dying process.
3. Recognize general precautions in the use of skilled touch.
4. Safely perform three Compassionate Touch® techniques.
5. Assess the response of the touch recipient and modify approach accordingly.
6. Recognize how Compassionate Touch® impacts the caregiver-patient relationship.
7. Demonstrate the ability to teach other caregivers (i.e. family member) how to use focused touch or sensitive massage in the care of their loved one.
- Ability to use skilled touch in bedside care of the dying person
- Three sensitive massage/ focused touch techniques appropriate for end of life care
- Confidence to incorporate skilled touch in daily care routines.
- Giving and receiving Compassionate Touch®.
- A greater sense of meaning in his or her work as a caregiver.
- The mutual benefits of Compassionate Touch®.